Pages

Monday, January 14, 2013

In which I thank the academy



The delightful Kathryn nominated me for a Lieber Award, which was very exciting. I felt a little left out with all the Golden Globes kerfuffle ans an award that I can accept in my pajamas is much appreciated. I just know I'd be on the worst dressed list, I honestly can't see what's wrong with most of the dresses that are on those lists. Anyway,
The rules:

First off the Liebster Award is supposed to be given by bloggers to other bloggers with fewer than 200 followers.

You can't nominate the blog that nominated you.

You have to post 11 random facts about yourself.

You gotta answer the 11 questions that the person who nominated posted for you.

Paste the award picture into your blog.

Pass the award onto 11 other bloggers, let them know you nominated them too! (I assume you want to nominate people who have not gotten Liebster'ed already.)

Write up 11 new questions for your nominees to answer.

Kathryn's Questions for me!
What's the weirdest thing you have in your handbag/wallet?

A lucky charm from a temple in Kyoto that I bought for a friend and haven't seen her to give it to her. It's in the envelope my bus ticket came in because I thought it might stop the luck rubbing off onto me before I get the chance to give it to her. Also, a very dirty cuddly sheep keyring from Ireland that my Mum bought me. It's a good size for finding it in my ridiculously oversized handbag (that was a present from my parents, because the best gifts always come from them.)
Where do you plan to travel this year?
To my brothers' house, because he's lived there for ages and I haven't seen it. The joys of living on a different continent from your family. Does it count as travelling when you plan to set up camp on your brother's sofa and watch lots of cable TV, because it's in English and because you can?
Tragedy strikes and you are stranded with your phone. Who is the first person you call?
Depends where I am, because I would want to call someone who not only could help, but who wouldn't judge me for my tragedy not really being such a big deal.
What is the one thing you plan on doing in 2013 to maintain or get fit?
I have been having physio for my shin splints, and have to do lots of weight training to build the muscles so that I don't get shin splints anymore, I'd quite like that. Also, I should probably deal with my constant trips to the convenience store as a way to deal with boredom/way to avoid doing anything constructive. I usually end up buying ice cream or chocolate when I'm there, so if I could make those trips less frequent, that'd be good.
If you had to quit TV and other drama watching apart from one show, what would it be?
Downton Abbey. It's awesome. And when I grow up, I want to be a Dowager Countess. First step? Work out what a Dowager Countess actually is.

Who was your teenage crush?
I remember having lots of Keanu Reeves posters, around the time of Bill and Ted's Excellent Adventure. I also LOVED Take That and spent a large amount of Maths classes discussing them with my friend Kathryn (different Kathryn, same spelling), which is interesting because now she's a secondary school maths teacher.

How do you take your coffee?
I don't drink coffee, but I could sink a battle ship with the amount of tea I drink.


Best place to go for dinner in your town?
Ooh, lots of places. There's my favourite sushi place, where I've been going for a few years now. If you're in town, pop in and say I sent you. That'd make me sound much more important than I actually am.
I also quite like this wine bar/restaurant because they have good food, and good wine.

What's the one thing - clothes or makeup item - you can't live without?
My jeans. They go with everything, and I wear them a lot.
Do you drive to the airport to pick people up or tell them to get a cab?
I don't have a car (I have a licence, I'm called a "paper driver" in Japan, so I recommend the airport bus or a cab. Obviously, if my parents suggested I do the same upon arriving in Heathrow, I'd be quite put out. Apart from that one time it had snowed and Dad couldn't actually get the car down the road because it hadn't beed salted, and we went home by bus. I was quite understanding that time.
What is the one thing is guaranteed to make you lose your shit?
I don't really lose it totally very often, I more the irritable type than the real angry type, but I get cross when I think people aren't really listening to me. Or when they are listening, but they're dismissing what I'm saying. That gets me quite riled from time to time.

11 facts about me
  1.  Despite my love for a nice cup of tea, and growing up in England, I hate milk in my tea. I think it tastes funny. I like it black, no sugar, no lemon.
  2. My Grandad bought me two goldfish for my 5th birthday. One lived for seven years, although it had no name.
  3. I've lived in Japan for almost seven years, which is the longest I've lived anywhere apart from where I was born (I lived in the same house until I was 18, Mum and Dad still live there), and I still can't really tell you what made me come here in the first place.
  4. I can't stop singing "One More Day" from Les Miserables, even though I thought the film was slightly too long.
  5. I have never owned a dog, but would like a rescue dog if I had one. I think the people at a shelter would be good at advising me about the kind of dog to get.
  6. I quite like getting up early in the morning and giving myself plenty of time to get ready. I hate to feel rushed in the morning.
  7. I'd rather talk on Skype than on the phone because I prefer seeing someone's face when we talk. I'm not very good on the phone.
  8. I didn't know that Google Street View wasn't live, so used to entertain myself checking if Mum and Dad's car was in the drive or if my old primary school was on lunch break. I felt pretty silly when I found out.
  9. Recently, I've taken to listening to Radio 4, and especially Woman's Hour. I love all the random information you can get from it. I realise it's an early demise into Middle Age, and I'm really not that bothered.
  10. If I could eat only one Japanese food ever again in my life, I'd actually be quite stuck, because I like lots of it, but I'd plump for sushi, because it is really good and has lots of different flavours so I'd take longer to get bored of it.
  11. My guilty pleasure is celebrity news. I know I shouldn't care about Brangelina's wedding plans, or Celebrity Big Brother, but I just can't help it.
My 11 Questions
  1. What's the best thing you've ever done?
  2. Where is your favourite place to go?
  3. If you had to choose between sweet snacks and salty snacks, which one would it be?
  4. Do you think you'd make a good spy? Why do you think so?
  5. Who is the most intelligent person you know?
  6. If you had a super power, what would it be?
  7. What is your favourite item of clothing?
  8. If you were being sent to a desert island, what would you take with you?
  9. What kind of student were you at school?
  10. Who could you spend all day with and never get bored?
  11. What do you cook to impress people?
The eleven people I nominate
  1. http://whisperingwriter.blogspot.jp/
  2. http://alwaysleavingthingsunfinishe.blogspot.jp/
  3. http://murdoch-shewrote.blogspot.jp/
  4. http://raisingadelaide.blogspot.jp/
  5. http://just-eat-your-cupcake.blogspot.jp/
  6. http://fran-japani.blogspot.jp/
  7. http://foreignsalaryman.blogspot.jp/
  8. http://okaasanandme.blogspot.jp/
  9. http://www.shutupandrun.net/
  10. http://www.natthefatrat.com/
  11. http://hanlonsrzr.blogspot.jp/
(OK, 9 and 10 might be cheating abit, they clearly have lots of followers, but they are really very good.)

5 comments:

  1. Awesome. Thanks for tagging me!

    I love Downton Abbey too. Such a good show.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad Kathryn tagged you and you played along. I enjoyed reading your random facts. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Le voila!
    http://hanlonsrzr.blogspot.jp/2013/01/lieber-award.html

    ReplyDelete
  4. How could you think LES MIS was too long!!!!?? Holy cow, Sarah!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry, Maria, I just thought the scene where Jean Valjean dies was a bit stretched out. I did like most of it, but I'll never be a die hard fan, I'm afraid.

      Delete

Thank you for your comment!